Bill Burke is the founder of the International 4-Wheel Drive Trainers Association (I4WDTA), owner of Bill Burke’s 4-Wheeling America LLC, and a permitted outfitter guide through the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and Bureau of Land Management (BLM). He teaches all aspects of 4-wheel driving to anyone who uses a 4-wheel drive vehicle for recreation or business, and plans and leads experiential back country vacation trips for individuals, families, clubs, and businesses.
Bill serves as a technical consultant in the areas of 4-wheeling expertise and environmental concerns to various businesses, the media, 4-wheel drive manufacturers, dealerships, and government organizations.
Owners of 4-Wheel Drive Sport Utility Vehicles… 4-Wheel Drive Clubs… 4×4 Tour Operators … Government Organizations… Vehicle Manufacturers / Dealers… Exploration / Mining Companies (North and South America)… and any company, group, individual or organization that uses 4-wheel drive vehicles in their leisure or business operations.
- Teach 4-wheel drive safety at the annual Northwest SARCON, a search-and-rescue conference for emergency responders and their supervisors.
- Teach 4-wheel drive techniques and environmental awareness to U.S. Forest Service and Department of Interior including U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Interagency Fire Response Team, U.S. State Department, Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) on an ongoing basis.
- Instituted Toyota Technical Center 4-wheel drive training program for Toyota Motors’ Worldwide in-house Certification.
- 4-Wheel Drive Training Editor, 4WD Toyota Owner magazine. *Developed script, hosted “4×4 Safe Driving Program” training video, and wrote accompanying workbook for Bureau of Land Management (western region) to use for their staff and new hires (1998 & 2014) (only available through BLM for their staff).
- Developed early Charter-curriculum for the TREAD Lightly! nationwide off-highway safety clinics. Co-taught to individuals, groups, Forest Service personnel throughout U.S., and 4WD manufacturers and dealers.
- Trained staff drivers at Joint Astronomy Center, Mauna Kea, Hawaii in safe 4-wheel drive techniques for high mountain roads and inclement weather.
- Provided 4×4 safety training to managers responsible for mining exploration and operations in the Andes through Mark One S.A., Lima, Peru. Developed safety workbook.
- Hosted video to introduce the 2003 Toyota 4Runner. *Co-hosted and provided technical expertise for 4-wheeling and environmental video, “The Way Out,” to highlight basic 4-wheel drive techniques and safety, and to introduce the Tacoma for Toyota Motor Sales USA (1994).
- *Trailmaster for United Four-Wheel Drive Convention hosted by Colorado Association of 4-Wheel Drive Clubs (1999).
- Created and implemented Unstuck! professional winching and recovery instructional video. Can be purchased online at https://www.bb4wa.com/products/dvds.html.
- Developed and presented Camp Rover West, now known as On the Road…, practical driver training seminars and guided trail rides for 4-wheel drive / SUVs and their owners (2000-present).
- Presented the Colorado Bike / Boat / Bog Triathlon® canoe race, mountain bike race, and 4-wheel drive time / speed / distance rally which attracted competitors from around the United States and Canada (1993-1996).
- One of 2-person team to represent America in the Camel Trophy, a grueling 1200-mile rally across Africa (1991). Completed Land Rover International Driver Training Program in Off-Road Techniques, Eastnor Castle, England.
- Certified Wilderness EMT-B. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certified Master Heavy Duty Truck Technician. Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, National Leadership Training. Recovery Specialist, U.S. Army, 101st Airborne Division (1972-1975). Recovered and evacuated stuck and mired wheeled and tracked vehicles and equipment.
MEDIA (partial list) – Regular column, Burke’s Box in 4WD Toyota Owner magazine and Rovers North News. Articles about and/or by Bill in Automobile Magazine, Reforma (Mexico), Sports Afield, National Geographic, Land Rover World, Land Rover Monthly, American Survival Guide, Men’s Journal, AutoWeek, Four Wheeler, Land Rover Owner, The Denver Post, The Denver Rocky Mountain News, The Oregonian, Newsday (New York), Grand Junction, Daily Sentinel and other local, national and international publications. Regular contributor to various publications in areas of 4-wheel drive education.